If you are a foodie, you can easily relate to the above quote. For someone who enjoys eating, good food is like magic. You take a bite, and the flavors burst in your mouth like a rainbow. Finding cuisines that we can relish and appreciate makes us foodies happy and excited. You hear about the yummy Moules Frites in Belgium or Pudim in Brazil and want to rush over to taste the authentic flavors. Such people are often always ready to even cross borders for an exquisite dish that promises divine taste. Having a knack for spotting quality food along with the will to travel is an electrifying combination.
Since most foodies are usually willing to explore different cuisines in other countries, we decided to jot down a little resource as a guide. Here we have a list of the top 10 food lover destinations where we believe foodies should go to enjoy amazing dining experiences:
We all know Italy for its pizza and pasta. But this beautiful county has so much more to offer our tastebuds. Italy is full of ‘good food’ or if we might say it in their language, buon cibo. And besides, even pizza and pasta taste so much more delicious in Italy because of the special way the chefs make them. They have authentic recipes and only use freshly picked ingredients, making the dishes smell amazingly tempting and yummy.
Some of the delicious Italian cuisines that you should be looking forward to when in Italy include:
- Fiorentina Steak: To eat this specialty, you will have to go to Florence. It is a thick T-bone steak that is cooked for around 5 minutes on each side. You cannot ask for a medium-rare steak since the meat is so thick; it can only be rare. But trust us, the steak tastes divine, and you will be on cloud nine that you decided to try it out.
- Pizza: It is okay to feel that pizza is not a novelty since we eat it every other weekend at our homes, but Italian pizza is a whole new level. We urge you to do so if you have not yet tried because you will be rendered speechless by the flavors. Italy essentially has two styles of pizzas: Roman-style pizza or Neapolitan-style pizza. Depending on your liking, you can choose one, or if you are really into pizzas, you can try both out.
- Risotto: If we move aside pasta and pizza, we will find that Italy is also famous for its rice. And this is where the Risotto comes from. It is a dish made from rice, slowly cooked in broth until it achieves a creamy consistency. The broth can be made from meat, vegetables, or fish. If you are in Italy, you should never miss eating Risotto.
Mexico is quite well-recognized for its food and drinks. It is also the place to witness a vibrant culture and some jaw-dropping coastlines. But let us see what you should be eating in case you plan to visit Mexico in search of the world’s best food:
- Tacos: This is a traditional Mexican cuisine and is made using wheat or corn tortillas. These are hand-sized and are filled with varying ingredients. The typical fillings include ground meat, onions, cheese, beans, lettuce, etc. Tacos are now an internationally recognized dish, and you can pretty much find them in every country. But if you want to taste the authentic taco flavors, you need to hop along and visit Mexico.
- Burritos: Wrapped in a thin flour tortilla, burritos taste blissful. They are filled with different ingredients such as chicken, beef, cheese, salsa, vegetables, etc. You can choose whichever filling you want. Once the ingredients are in, burritos are wrapped and grilled to let the flavors and aroma out. Burritos are also quite a well-known dish now.
If your palate is okay with ingesting exotic and unique food items, then China is your place to be. Some cuisines, however, may taste a little too adventurous such as the thousand-year-old eggs. But others may seem too appetizing. China has some yummy delicacies to offer, such as:
- Hotpot: Having a hotpot in China will completely elevate your food experience to a whole new level. The process is unique and interesting. A hot bowl of simmering broth is put in front of you on the table along with several ingredients such as sliced meat, vegetables, noodles, dumplings, potatoes, etc. These ingredients are tossed into the broth and allowed to cook. The star of this dish is always the broth that tastes divine.
- Dumplings: An extremely famous dish in North China, dumplings are now loved by many all across the globe. These are made out of the thin dough with meat and veggie filling. Dumplings can be fried, boiled, or steamed.
A country famous for romance, love, history, and fashion, France is also quite well-known for its cuisines. There are numerous historic buildings that you can visit while in France if you like architecture. But if you are a foodie and your sole purpose is to devour some classic French cuisines, then these are the dishes you should be looking for:
- Boeuf Bourguignon: A stew made from beef slowly cooked in red wine, broth, and vegetables, boeuf bourguignon is a staple now in every French restaurant.
- Chocolate Souffle: A common dessert now in menus around the world, chocolate souffle originates from France. It tastes divine when you let the creators serve it to you. When in France, always munch on a souffle to make your trip extra special.
- Confit De Canard: This meal makes use of a marination process that lasts 36 hours. Duck meat is preserved using salt, garlic, and thyme and then slow-cooked in its own fat. The dish is served with roasted potatoes and garlic on the side.
The home to Churros, Spain, will host you with some delightful cuisines once you land in the country. And of course, do not forget the lively festivals and easy-going culture Spain has to offer. All in all, Spain is a ball to visit, and if you are a foodie, it just adds a cherry to the top. Some famous Spanish cuisines you should taste include:
- Paella Valenciana: One of the most known Spanish cuisines, Paella originates from Valencia. It is a rice dish cooked with rabbit and chicken with saffron added to give the rice color.
- Gazpacho: Imagine being scorched in the summer and then being offered a cold soup. Yes, Gazpacho is a soup served cold and is made from tomatoes, peppers, garlic, bread, and lots of olive oil.
Even if you are not a K-pop fan, you must have at least heard about this music culture. It has become super famous over the past decade. But Korea is not just famous for its music industry but also for its yummy food.
- Kimchi: A side dish made from fermented cabbage and garlic, ginger, pepper, scallion, Kimchi dates back to around 2,000 years.
- Tofu Stew: This famous Korean stew is made in a spicy broth and contains tofu, clams, and eggs. The flavors are unique, which gives the stew a delightful taste.
Mediterranean food by far offers a few of the best cuisines in the world. And the people in Greece have a knack for producing some delicious Mediterranean dishes. Greece is a haven for people who love their food since Greeks do too. The dishes include healthy ingredients such as fresh vegetables, fish and meat, grains, olive oil, lemon juice, dried herbs, etc. But if we talk in particular, we believe you should head over to Greece and at least try out the following delicacies:
- Moussaka: It is made by layering fried aubergines in between minced meat and potatoes. After the layering, the dish is topped with a thick creamy bechamel sauce and baked beautifully golden. It is one of the most liked dishes in Greece.
- Loukoumades: These are donuts but Greek-style. Loukoumades are small fried balls drenched in honey syrup that taste heavenly. They are often topped with nuts or cinnamon.
- Gyros: All hail the famous Gyros. A classic Greek sandwich, Gyros, is pita bread filled with meat cooked on a rotisserie. The meat can be pork, lamb, chicken, or beef. Various sauces and salads are added to give the Gyros a flavorful taste.
If you have never been to Turkey, this is your chance now. Pack your bags and hit the road because Turkey is a foodie’s dream come true. Besides delicious cuisines that we will talk about in detail, Turkey offers some breathtaking historical places to explore. The climate is pleasant, with six months of summer in the southern parts. But let us focus on what you should be eating when in Turkey:
- Testi Kebab: Turkey is well-known for its kebabs. But this Testi Kebab is one of a kind. Testi in Turkish means’ jar’, which is how these kebabs are cooked – in a clay jar.
- Parde Pilav: Commonly served at weddings, Parde Pilav is a delicacy. It is rice with chicken, raisins, pine nuts, almonds, and butter cooked in a lush, buttery dough. This dish is baked in an oven and served piping hot.
- Yaprak Dolma: This unique dish is made of rice wrapped in vine leaves. But do not be fooled because it tastes amazing. Rice is initially cooked with tomatoes, garlic, onion, parsley, olive oil, salt, and water. Once cooked, these rice are delicately wrapped in vine leaves, and the dish is ready.
Now let us talk about the most loved traveling destination of all: Thailand. Yearly, this country experiences a huge influx of tourists, and rightly so. Thailand is very famous for its street food and also for the very the beautifully constructed temples which are spread all across the country.
Some of the top Thai cuisines to try when in Thailand include:
- Pad Thai: This yummy dish is a street food item and is made from fried noodles. One of Thailand’s national dishes, Pad Thai, is quite famous amongst tourists. Chicken and shrimps are added to this delicious meal; however, the veggie version is also quite liked.
- Tom Yum Goong: This well-known Thai dish comprises fish sauce, lemongrass, shallots, lime leaves, and chili. It has a strong spicy flavor. Prawns and mushrooms and quite often added along with coconut cream to give the soup a creamier taste.
Japan has quite exquisite tastes when it comes to food. Some adore the variety of seafood dishes, while it may be too much to handle for some. However, if you are into food and love exploring new flavors, you might want to plan a trip to Japan. While you are in the country, we advise you to taste the following dishes without any excuse. You will, hopefully, thank us later.
- Ramen: You will love this if you are a fan of noodles. Ramen bowls are made of wheat noodles served in a miso or soy sauce soup. There are few other ingredients added, such as green onions, seaweed, eggs, pork, etc. However, there are quite a few options available to add to your ramen bowl. It is one of the most famous dishes in Japan.
- Sushi and Sashimi: Whenever we think of Japanese food, sushi is the first cuisine that pops into our heads. It is an internationally renowned dish and is loved by many. Sushi is made of rice and other ingredients such as various vegetables, seafood, and seaweed. On the other hand, Sashimi is raw seafood eaten with a spicy Wasabi sauce.
People who value good food can even travel miles to taste exquisite cuisines. If you love traveling and are also fond of trying out new food items, the above list will prove helpful. We have highlighted some of the best countries that offer amazing cuisines along with so much more that will make your trips worth remembering. So, what are you waiting for? Pack your bags and bon voyage!