I haven’t had my eyes tested for around 10 years, so I thought it was about time that I got it done. What spurred me on a little was that my genetic test results show that I’m six times more likely to get macular degeneration than the average person. As health is my number one priority, I decided to opt a Premier Eye Examination at Bangkok’s Bumrungrad International Hospital. Read on to find out how I got on. If you’re planning to visit Bangkok, then click here to book a great hotel.
My eyes are very important to me, which is why I opted for the most expensive package, which is the Premier Eye Examination. This package includes the following:
- Ishihara color blindness test (I already knew I wasn’t color blind).
- Measure curvature of the cornea with an auto keratometer.
- Measure eye pressure with an air puff tonometer.
- Screen for disorders of the retina and optic nerve, such as glaucoma, diabetic retinopathy and macular degeneration using a Visucam retinal camera.
- Examine the shape and appearance of the front of the eye, including the cornea, the anterior (front) chamber of the eye, the iris and the anterior chamber angle of the eye.
- Measure the thickness of the retina and display any abnormalities in the tissues in each layer of the retina.
- Visual field test using Frequency Doubling Technology to detect dysfunction in central and peripheral vision.
The eye clinic is on the 18th floor of the main Bumrungrad building. I just walked in and was lucky that I could be tested right away, although it is better if you make an appointment in advance. This can be done online, by phone or in person.
I was told the testing would take about two hours in total, but all the main tests were done in under an hour. These tests are done by a trained eye technician. After they are finished it was just a matter of waiting to see the doctor, who also examined my eyes and went over the test results.
After seeing the doctor I needed to wait a few meets to get the folder with all my test results. This was about 15 pages long, and had lots of color images and information from my eye tests. I found this to be really useful.
The results also included these fantastic fundus photos. There are three photos for each eye.
About 10-15 years ago I had fundus photos taken at a clinic in London. The cost of just the photos was more expensive than the complete eye care package at Bumrungrad Hospital.
So how did I do? Results were excellent. I don’t have any problems with my eyes, so I’ll be sure to continue taking extra care of them and getting future check-ups every year or two.
Premier Eye Examination Details
Location: Bumrungrad International Hospital, Bangkok
Phone Number: 02-667-1000
Nearest BTS: Ploen Chit and Nana (a few minutes walk from either of these stations)
Cost: 10,610 baht (around $300)
Where To Stay In Bangkok
Bangkok has thousands of hotels, so do what we do, and head on over to Agoda Bangkok. They have a great selection of hotels and great prices. We use Agoda for almost all our hotel bookings.